MACs is a Sperm Selection Technique that allows us to choose those sperm with better characteristics to be used in the Assisted Reproduction Techniques improving the possibilities of achieving pregnancy.
This technology permits to discard the Apoptotic sperm, i.e., those that will die before they do an adequate fertilization of the egg. Biodegradable magnetic particles are used (annexin VI) which get attached to these sperm, so when the sperm sample is filtered, they get retained in the filter walls obtaining just normal sperm.
- To be older than 45 years old
- Unknown sterility origin
- Background of toxics, chemo and/or radiotherapy
- Previously treated chronic sperm infections
- Recurrent miscarriage
- IVF implantation failure
- Increase of the sperm DNA fragmentation
- In some cases of Artificial Insemination (AI)