Changes experienced in our society have made women delay maternity. When they are ready, due to their advanced age, they find themselves in serious infertility problems as they have lost the quality of their eggs. Today, it is frequent to find women over 40 who want to be mothers and choose the ovodonation treatment to become mothers.
Our egg donation program is aimed to women who, due to their age, genetic background, surgeries or because of illness; can’t get pregnant. The reasons can be several, but basically it’s a lack of proper ovarian functioning to produce eggs or produce them of poor quality.
Medical and biological advances, together with the solidarity of many women who are of fertile age, allow that the donation of a cell as the oocyte, lets million of couples around the world to achieve something so natural, but in occasions complex, like having children.
In the HLA Vistahermosa Reproduction Unit, the egg donation is one of the most effective treatments in assisted reproduction and is done strictly following the legal requirements. This means not only the donor age limit, between 18 and 35, and the gynaecological, hormonal and genetic studies, but the anonymity of the donor and the recipient.
Egg donation + Fenomatch
The Fenomatch Platform is an innovative tool used by our team of doctors and embryologists to objectively and scientifically select deal donors for patients. + INFO>>
It is a simple treatment which consists of a first evaluation visit where vaginal ultrasound of the uterus and a transfer test are carried out. The result will confirm if there can be an embryo implantation.
It is necessary to provide all kinds of tests and blood tests which have been performed previously, as well as report in detail of any reproductive background as miscarriages, in vitro fertilisation, inseminations, etc.
Once all the information is collected and valued, we will decide which tests are necessary to repeat in order to maximise the chances of success. Our location, in a hospital, allows us to carry out this tests immediately.
At the same time, it is also necessary to assess the reproductive history of the male through different studies (semen analysis, spermatozoa FISH, DNA fragmentation, karyotypes and serologies). If the tests were altered, we will provide other treatments as to improve the fertilisation rate: MACS (annexin column), PGD or other medical processes.
Once the basic study, done in a day, is over; we will assess the phenotypic characteristics: morphology, development, biochemical properties, physiology and behaviour to find the ideal donor.
The donors must have reached the legal age. They are young and healthy women, they have no genetic diseases and want to help other women to be mothers. The donor selection is done in agreement with the recipient couple: race, blood type and physical characteristics. The procedure is carried out by synchronising the ovarian stimulation of the donor with the uterus preparation of the recipient.
- Endometrial preparation. This process is aimed for preparing the uterus to host the embryo or embryos by administering medication to the patient.
- Ovarian hyper-stimulation of the donor. Needle aspiration of the ovaries to obtain the eggs and fertilise them with the partners semen. This semen can be fresh or previously frozen semen.
- Use of previously frozen eggs and preserved in an egg bank.
- Embryo transfer. This intervention does not require sedation. It is a painless process where our gynaecologists transfer the embryo or embryos using a thin catheter and under ultrasound control. This allows them to see the most suitable area of the uterus to deposit them.
- Prognosis. After 12 or 14 days of the transfer, it is time to confirm if the patient is pregnant. Having a blood test done will confirm it.
- Vitrification. It’s the process of freezing the remaining embryos and preserving them in our embryos bank.
The HLA Vistahermosa Reproduction Unit is the only center in Spain to have received official authorisation from the Consellería de Sanidad to hold a Biobank. A service to society which is committed to a quality and cutting-edge medicine.
A Biobank is defined in the legislation as a non-profit organisation which stores collections of biological samples for diagnostic or research, following rigorous quality controls.
Our Biobank has a collection of DNA samples from fertile patients which is unique in the country. It comes from voluntary patients and from different Spanish centres that give their samples for research.
The HLA Vistahermosa Reproduction Unit Biobank has another collection of DNA samples from donors to access their genetic map without interfering in the anonymity. As there is a limited probability of a future problem of disease, the conservation of the samples allows us to study the ADN in order to evaluate genetically the newborn. It will provide more confidence and reassurance with all the related with the birth and development of the baby without having to rely on the donors location and the loss of anonymity.
This service is free and guarantees the access to the recipients samples indefinitely. In order to get a sample it is only necessary to show an official medical report which will be assessed by our geneticists.
A different ovodonation program
The ovodonation program of the HLA Vistahermosa Reproduction Unit differs from others in 8 basis points:
- Security and confidence as we are located in a hospital.
- We ensure the embryos transfer, not a number of follicles or oocytes.
- We don’t share the donor.
- We transfer the embryos mainly during the blastocyst phase (5th day of culture) for a better embrionary selection and, therefore, a better implantation rate.
- We only freeze the remaining embryos with the highest levels of implantation.
- We ensure the complete anonymity of both the donor and the recipient.
- We have immediate donors except for uncommon phenotypes.
- We are the first to have a Biobank of ADN samples of our donors. The only one in Europe
The ovodonation is one of the treatments which best solves the maternity wishes of many people. Its high success rate reached 90% after three cycles, and with less than a 10% of multiple pregnancy. Even more, this high rate doesn’t depend on the age of the woman, the only requirement needed is to have a normal uterus and to be in good health. That is why it’s an exceptional way for those women who have had problems with conventional treatments and it also decreases the malformation and abortion rates.