The quality of the sperm is one of the factors that increases the probabilities to achieve pregnancy. The new techniques of sperm selection allow to reject the apoptotic spermatozoa, that is, those which will die; and that cannot achieve the appropriate egg fertilisation.
With the use of Annexin V or MACS (magnetic activated cell sorting) columns, it is possible to select the quality live sperms from those which start a programmed cellular death. This technique can be used in those couples where the male presents a high sperm DNA fragmentation.
For the procedure, we use biodegradable magnetic particles (annexin V) that attract the spermatozoa and filter them through a magnetic column separating the healthy spermatozoa from the apoctopic.
The MACS manages to eliminate all the fragmented DNA sperms managing the fertilisation with high quality sperm.
- People over 45 years old
- Sterility for unknown reasons
- History of toxic use, chemo, radiation therapy…
- Previous seminal chronic infections already treated
- Repeated miscarriages
- IVF implantation failures
- Increased sperm DNA fragmentation
- And in some cases of Artificial Insemination